B. Types Of Information We Collect
1. We collect information from Visitors and Members who access various parts of our Website and use different Services in a variety of ways, including through a mobile device. As a result, the type of information we collect depends on the ways Visitors and Members interact with us, our Website and/or our Service(s). We may offer websites, services or applications that permit browsing and do not require registration. We may also offer Members the ability to access their accounts online and offline, which may result in collection of different data.
2. Information that we may collect about you through interactions includes information that you give us (such as your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, other contact information, surveys and other information input into the Website); automatic information (data resulting from your activity, such as transaction information, IP address, log in, email, passwords and browsing activity); mobile information (location services); and information from other sources, such as social security numbers for contractors and instructors. We may also gather additional information such as the type of device and browser you are using, the IP address of your device, information about your device’s operating system, and additional information associated with your device and browsing activity. We may also gather information collected through cookies, tags, tracers, tracking scripts, web beacons, and other technologies, as described further below. We may supplement the personal information you provide with publicly available information about you as well as information from other sources.
3. When we do collect personally identifiable information, we will use it for the purposes indicated in this policy.
6. We may use the Website as an entry into other networked web pages and websites operated by us and our subsidiaries and affiliates (together, the “Transaction Sites”), such as for credit card processing. Please note that individual Transaction Sites may adopt privacy terms particular to the purpose of such Transaction Site or the transaction(s) taking place on such Transaction Site. As Transaction Sites are generally affiliated with commercial transactions that you or your business may have with us, particularly those which are password-protected or are subject to subscriptions, the privacy terms for such sites may differ through terms in separate agreements which may supplement or supersede these terms.
C. Use of Registration and Visitor Information
1. Registration may be allowed or required on the Website. Members are asked to provide certain personal information when they sign up for our Services including name, address, telephone number, email address and billing information (such as a credit card number and expiration date). The personal information collected from Members during the registration process is used to manage each Member’s account (such as for billing purposes) and may be shared with other Members to coordinate Services. This information is not normally shared with unaffiliated third parties, unless specifically stated otherwise or in special circumstances.
2. We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. They have access to personal information gathered through the Services needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
3. We may promote the Website, Services or a new service to members. You may manage your communication preferences within your account.
4. We may also generate non-identifying and aggregate profiles from personal information Members provide during registration (such as the total number, but not the names, of Members). As explained in more detail below, we may use this aggregated and non-identifying information to sell advertisements that appear on the Services.
D. Email Marketing From Third Party Sponsors
E. Voluntary Customer Surveys
1. We may periodically conduct both business and individual customer surveys. We encourage our customers to participate in these surveys because they provide us with important information that helps us to improve the types of services we offer and how we provide them to you. Your personal information and responses will remain strictly confidential (except where required by law), even if a third party conducts the survey. Participation in our customer surveys is voluntary.
2. We take the information we receive from individuals responding to our Customer Surveys and aggregate it with the responses from other customers to create broader, generic responses to the survey questions (such as gender, age, residence, hobbies, education, employment, industry sector, or other demographic information). We then use the aggregated information to improve the quality of our services to you, and to develop new services and products. This aggregated, non-personally-identifying information may be shared with third parties.
F. “Cookies” and How We Use Them
G. Additional Technologies
We may also use additional technologies such as pixel tags, web beacons, tracers, tracking scripts, clear GIFs and other technologies, and may permit our third party service providers to use these technologies. We use these technologies for purposes such as measuring the effectiveness of our advertisements or other communications, determining viewing and response rates, and determining which offers to present to you on our own or on third party sites.
H. In the Event of a Change in Ownership
1. As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy websites, subsidiaries, or business units. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise).
2. In the event of a change in ownership, or a merger or an acquisition, all (or select aspects) of our customer information may be transferred. All of our subscribers and registered users will be notified of any change in ownership, merger or an acquisition of our assets by a third party. Subscribers and users may choose to access and modify any of their registration and subscription information at that time.
I. Special Cases
While using our Service and/or website, you will have opportunities to post reviews or other personal information in public areas. Please understand that when you post such information, it is made public and is not subject to this policy. We are not responsible for any third party’s use of personal information you publicly disclose through our Service.
J. Children’s Privacy
1. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time online with their children. We urge parents to instruct their children never to give out their real names, addresses, or phone numbers without the permission of a parent or guardian, when using the Internet. We recognize a special obligation to protect personally identifiable information obtained from children, as may be collected on the Website. We fully comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), which requires us take special precautions when collecting personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13.
2. In compliance with COPPA, we have adopted the following policies to keep children safe.
a. Personally identifiable information we collect from children under the age of 13 will be used solely by us or our agents for internal purposes only and will not be sold or otherwise distributed to third parties.
b. We will not knowingly allow children under the age of 13 to access any social media site that may exist on the Website, email accounts, or other services we provide that would allow them to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable information.
c. We will not knowingly ask a child under the age of 13 to divulge more information than is needed to participate in any activity, game, or service.
d. We will not knowingly keep any personally identifiable information that is inadvertently included in a child’s email submission, help inquiry, or other one-time request, if we know that the child is under the age of 13. Information will be automatically purged or purged immediately after the issue has been resolved.
e. We will not knowingly post any personally identifiable information that is inadvertently included in a child’s submission to a general audience contribution area if we know that the child is under the age of 13. These submissions will be deleted and handled anonymously thereafter.
f. We will not knowingly provide any direct link to websites that are unsuitable for children or teens.
g. Upon request, we will provide a parent or guardian with a description of the information that may have been provided about their child during a registration process for a program, service or contest on the Website.
3. Consistent with COPPA, there are few instances where we will collect information from children, such as:
a. Requesting the contact information of a parent or guardian for the sole purpose of providing notification to the parent or guardian;
b. Collecting children’s contact information on a one-time basis, such as when they enter a contest or ask us a question using the “contact us” link on our Website. We will use this information on a one-time basis solely to directly respond to the child’s request.
c. Collecting a child’s contact information and the contact information of his/her parent or guardian solely to directly respond more than once to a specific request from the child (for example, to satisfy the request for a newsletter subscription). The parent or guardian will have an opportunity at any time to revoke the child’s request (i.e., unsubscribe). We will not use the child’s personal information to re-contact the child for any other purpose; and
d. Using cookies to collect non-personally-identifiable information on our Website for analytics and internal operations purposes.
K. Your California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law permits California residents to annually request and obtain information free of charge about what personal information is disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year.
L. Educify Live Release
When you attend live, group classes through educify or educify Live, other people who subscribe to educify will be able to see your name, your image, your comments, your voice, and your profile. In addition, we may also broadcast educify Live classes to other sites such as the educify Blog, YouTube or Facebook. We may also record the video and audio components of those classes and rebroadcast them on our sites or other sites, or store them temporarily or permanently. In those instances, the general public may also be able to see your name, your image, your voice, and your comments (collectively referred to herein as the “Released Subject Matter”). By attending educify Live classes, you hereby freely and without restraint consent to and give unto educify and its agents or assigns (the “Releases”) the unrestrained right in perpetuity to own, utilize, or alter the Released Subject Matter, in any manner educify’ sees fit and for any purpose whatsoever, all of the foregoing to be without limitation of any kind. By participating in educify Live, you authorize the Releases and grant unto them the unrestrained rights to utilize the Released Subject Matter in connection with education, distribution, advertising, publicity, public displays, and exhibitions. You hereby stipulate that the Released Subject Matter is the property of the Releases to do with it as it will. You hereby waive to the fullest extent that you may lawfully do so, any causes of action in law or equity you may have or may hereafter acquire against the Releasees or any of them for libel, slander, invasion of privacy, defamation, copyright or trademark violation, right of publicity, or false light arising out of or in connection with the utilization by the Releasees or another of the Released Subject Matter. I release and indemnify the Releases from and against any claims arising from any breach of this warranty and the exercise of the rights granted herein.
M. Sharing Information with Our Services
Your profile is fully visible to all Members, users and customers of our Services. It may also be visible to others on or off of our Services (e.g., users of third- party search engines). Excerpts from your profile may appear on the services of others (e.g., search engine results, mail and calendar applications that show a user a “mini” educify profile of the person they are meeting or messaging, social media aggregators). “Old” profile information may remain on these services until they update their data cache with changes you made to your profile. Your settings, the degree of connection or interests you have with the viewing Member, the subscriptions they may have, their usage, and other variables impact the availability of your profile and whether they can view certain fields in your profile.
Posts, Likes, Follows, Comments, Messages
Our Services allow viewing and sharing information including through posts, likes, follows and comments.
When you share an article or a post (e.g., an update, image, video or article) publicly it can be viewed by everyone and re-shared anywhere. Members, Visitors and others will be able to find and see your publicly-shared content, including your name (and photo if you have provided one).
In a group, posts are visible to others in the group. Your membership in groups is public and part of your profile.
When you follow a person or skill, you are visible to others as a follower.
We let senders know when you act on their message.
We let a Member know when you view their profile.
When you like or re-share or comment on another’s content (including ads), others will be able to view these “social actions” and associate it with you (e.g., your name, profile and photo if you provided it).